Overseas travel expenses
Private rulings and objections
This page lists the documents and information we usually need to process private rulings and objections.
Please send the following documents and information with your:
Disregard the documents and information on this page that you have previously provided.
Supporting document requirements
Documents and information to send with your private ruling about overseas travel expenses.
- What was the purpose of the trip overseas?
- Details of your current employment duties and how the travel relates to your employment
- If you have already undertaken your travel, provide a copy of your travel diary
- Did your employer request that you travel overseas?
- Did you receive a travel allowance from anyone or were you reimbursed for any of the expenses incurred? If so, how much did you receive?
- Did you take any leave to travel overseas? If yes, what type of leave did you take?
- What date did you leave Australia and what date did you return?
- Did the trip contain a private component? If yes, provide details
- How did you apportion expenses to cover the private component?
- Did anyone accompany you on the trip overseas? If yes
- Who and what was your relationship with them?
- What did they do while you were doing work-related activities?
- Have you claimed, or do you intend to claim, any expenses for this person?
- What expenses did you incur or will you incur on the trip overseas? Include amounts, dates and details on how you calculated these (if required)
- Do you have evidence to substantiate the expenses (for example, a diary or receipts)? If yes, provide copies