• Death benefits objections

    We need specific documents and information to process an objection to our decision about death benefits.

    Providing this information up front will reduce delays.

    If you wish to lodge an objection about death benefits, you'll need to:

    • complete and submit the relevant objection form (for taxpayers or tax professionals)
    • provide the supporting information listed below.

    Supporting information required

    If you have previously given us any of the information listed below, you don't need to resend it.

    The information we need includes:

    • the date the deceased died
    • the date the payment was made
    • the identity of the payer
    • whether the payment made directly to you, or to you as trustee of the estate of the deceased
    • payment summaries
    • the nature of the relationship between you and the deceased
    • where you resided before the deceased died
    • where you resided on the date the deceased died
    • any other documentation that would support the statements made in your objection application.

    Additional information

    If you are not the spouse or former spouse of the deceased or the deceased's child under 18, we need this further information:

    • If you receive a disability pension, provide a Centrelink payment advice/acknowledgment and medical documentation for the illness/disability/condition.
    • Your financial contribution to fixed household expenses – for example electricity, rates, mortgage and telephone. Provide invoices and evidence of payment via corresponding BPAY®/cheque reference/receipt/internet banking/direct debit/transfer entries on bank statements.
    • A statutory declaration detailing:
      • the amount you and the deceased paid toward other living expenses such as groceries, entertainment, fuel, and personal care items (for example, 30% of food paid by you)
      • the nature and amount of domestic support and personal care you and the deceased provided for each other (for example, household chores and transport)
      • the nature and amount of personal care and/or emotional support you and the deceased provided for each other
      • the period you and the deceased lived together; also provide a copy of any correspondence addressed to both of you.

    You do not need to provide this further information if you received a super lump sum because the deceased person died in the line of duty and was a:

    • member of the Australian Defence Force
    • member of the Australian Federal Police or the police force of a state or territory
    • protective service officer.

    Next steps:

    See also:

      Last modified: 20 Feb 2017QC 27185