Show download pdf controls
  • Correcting PAYG instalments

    If you've made a mistake working out your pay as you go (PAYG) instalment (including where you've made a variation because your circumstances have changed), you can correct it by:

    • revising your current activity statement
    • varying your instalment amount or rate on a future activity statement.

    If you correct your mistake by:

    • revising your current activity statement – you need to lodge your revision before
      • the activity statement is due
      • you lodge your tax return for the year
    • varying your instalment on a future activity statement, you need to make sure it's for the same income year.

    If you varied your amount or rate and want to change your instalment back to the original amount or rate, you need to lodge another variation.

    See also:

    Lodging a revision or variation

    The easiest way to revise your activity statement or vary your PAYG instalment is through online services.

    • You can make changes to your business details and revise and vary PAYG instalments in Online services for business.
    Log in to Online services for business
    • You can view, lodge, pay, vary and manage all your PAYG instalment obligations using myGov. All you need is a myGov account linked to the ATO.
    Log in or create a myGov account

    Interest and penalties

    When you vary or revise PAYG instalments, it’s important not to underestimate your amount, rate or instalment income. We compare your instalments to the total tax payable on your instalment income for the financial year. If the value of your varied instalments is less than 85% of that total, you may be subject to a general interest charge (GIC) on the difference, as well as penalties.

    See also:

    • For more information or advice, you can read the PAYG instalments information on our website, talk to your registered agent or contact us.
    Last modified: 08 Apr 2021QC 33831