Show download pdf controls
  • Reporting

    Fringe benefits are reported annually on your:

    • employees’ income statements or payment summaries
    • FBT return.

    Income statements or payment summaries

    If you provide an employee with fringe benefits (other than excluded benefits) with a total taxable value of more than $2,000 in an FBT year, you must report the grossed-up value on their income statement or payment summary for the corresponding income year (1 July to 30 June). This amount is known as a reportable fringe benefits amount.

    You must allocate these reportable fringe benefits to the relevant employee, including any fringe benefits provided to their associates. Where employees share a benefit, you have to allocate their respective shares individually. The total value of all benefits provided to a particular employee in an FBT year is known as their individual fringe benefits amount.

    You use this formula to calculate the grossed-up amount to show on the payment summary:

    Regardless of whether you can or cannot claim a GST credit for the benefits provided, use the lower (type 2) gross-up rate for reporting on employees’ payment summaries.

    You must issue an income statement or payment summary to everyone you provide reportable fringe benefits to, even if you don’t pay them any salary or wages. For example, if you provide the caretaker of a block of flats with free accommodation instead of a salary, you have to give them a payment summary if the value of that accommodation (the fringe benefit) is more than $2,000.

    Excluded benefits

    Some benefits don’t have to be reported on your employees’ payment summaries. These excluded benefits include:

    • car parking, apart from eligible car parking expense payments benefits provided to employees in remote areas that receive concessional treatment
    • pooled or shared cars (in some circumstances)
    • entertainment provided as food and drink, and benefits associated with that entertainment, such as travel and accommodation (regardless of which benefit type is used to value the benefits); unless provided under a salary packaging arrangement
    • costs of hiring or leasing entertainment facilities such as corporate boxes; unless provided under a salary packaging arrangement.

    From 1 April 2016, there are changes to the fringe benefits tax treatment of salary packaged entertainment benefits. If you, the employer, provide these benefits to your employees (for example, through the use of a meal card), you need to be aware of these changes:

    • all salary packaged entertainment benefits are reportable and will be included on an employee’s payment summary where their reportable fringe benefits amount is more than $2,000 in an FBT year
    • the 50-50 split method and 12-week register method cannot be used for valuing salary packaged meal entertainment or entertainment facility leasing expenses.

    Even though you don’t have to report excluded benefits on payment summaries, the benefits are still subject to FBT and you must take them into account when calculating how much FBT you have to pay.

    Reportable fringe benefits and adjusted taxable income

    From 1 January 2017, the government has changed the way reportable fringe benefits amounts are treated for certain family assistance and youth income support payments. Under the change, the grossed-up value of the fringe benefit is to be used for the purpose of calculating the adjustable taxable income. This change does not apply to certain non-profit employers that are exempt from FBT under section 57A of the Fringe Benefits Tax Assessment Act 1986 (FBTAA).

    Employers are required to disclose whether they are exempt from FBT under section 57A of the FBTAA in the employee's payment summary for the 2016–17 payment summary year and future years.

    See also:

      Last modified: 10 Feb 2021QC 16948