Show download pdf controls
  • Reportable fringe benefits – facts for employees

    You will have a reportable fringe benefits amount (RFBA) when:

    • certain fringe benefits are provided to you (or your associate in connection with your employment)
    • the total non-grossed-up taxable value exceeds $2,000 in a fringe benefits tax (FBT) year (1 April to 31 March).

    While not taxable, your total RFBA from all employment is taken into account in determining your eligibility for certain government benefits and concessions.

    Your RFBA will be shown on your income statement through ATO online services in myGov or your payment summary. You need to include it in your tax return at label IT1. However, you:

    • don't include it in your total income or loss amount
    • don't pay income tax or Medicare levy on it.

    If you lodge your tax return through a tax agent or online through myTax, you don't generally have to do anything. Your pre-filled tax return should include any RFBAs. Employers generally report this to us by early August for the income year just ended.

    Find out about:

    Last modified: 24 Dec 2020QC 58427