Cloud software authentication and authorisation
We have simplified the way businesses and registered agents authenticate and interact with us and other government agencies when using Standard Business Reporting (SBR) enabled online cloud software.
Interacting with us
An online software solution is now available through software providers:
- ensuring compliant, secure and streamlined transactions – online anytime from any device
- eliminating the need for businesses or registered agents that use SBR-enabled online software to register for, upload or maintain an AUSkey to secure transactions with us
- enabling you to notify us of your hosted SBR software service so you can securely interact with us using cloud software
- co-existing with existing online software solutions, including compatible desktop solutions.
This change does not affect how you authenticate when you use your existing desktop software, or when you log in to the portals or other AUSkey-enabled services.
Once you have subscribed to, or purchased SBR cloud-based software, you need to notify us of your hosted SBR software provider's details.
How to notify us
To complete your one-off notification, you can either:
- log in to Access Manager using your Administrator AUSkeyExternal Link or myGov credentials if you are the eligible associate or authorised staff of the business and follow the steps to notify us
- phone 1300 85 22 32, prepared with the following information:
- proof of record ownership (eg personal TFN, date of birth, address, recent ATO-generated notice)
- your Australian business number (ABN), or if you are a registered tax agent you can use your registered agent number (RAN)
- the name or ABN of your software provider
- your unique software ID (provided by your software provider).
Interacting with other agencies
The online cloud solution is now being expanded to simplify interactions with other Australian state, territory and local government agencies. Contact your software provider or agency to confirm whether they offer this.
If you are from a government agency and would like more information on how the online cloud solution can benefit you and your clients, email WofGDigitalInitiatives@ato.gov.au
Frequently asked questions
Do I need to notify the ATO?
If you have purchased or subscribed to hosted (cloud) SBR-enabled software, you must notify us once advised by the software provider you are using for transactions to and from the ATO. Check with your software provider for your own circumstances. You can contact us on 1300 85 22 32 for more information.
Can I have more than one online software provider?
Yes. You can have more than one online software provider.
Can I have multiple software IDs?
Yes. You can have multiple software IDs. Your software provider can advise you.
If I complete a notification for hosted SBR software services will this affect any of my other accounting programs?
No. Other programs can continue to be used. Check with your software provider on any specific changes relating to your individual programs.
Do I still need an AUSkey?
If you use services other than your cloud software, like the Business Portal or Tax Agent Portal, you will still need your AUSkey. AUSkey can also be used to access other government services. If you are not moving to cloud-based services, you don't need to do anything at this time.
Do all AUSkey and SBR users need to transition to the cloud?
Only existing users of cloud software who had previously shared their AUSkey with their software provider need to move to this new solution. New users of cloud software can also use this solution to notify us of their software provider rather than needing to obtain and manage an AUSkey. Existing AUSkey users can continue to use existing AUSkey-enabled products such as portals and desktop software.
Do agents need to complete a notification for each RAN?
If a registered tax or BAS agent has multiple registered agent numbers (RANs), the notification applies to the ABN for the entire practice; you don't need to notify for each RAN.
Can agents complete the notification on behalf of a client?
No. We cannot accept notifications completed by registered tax or BAS agents on behalf of clients. However, a registered tax or BAS agent can complete the notification on behalf of their own practice.
Why am I receiving an error when I lodge?
Ensure the following are correct:
- your tax agent ABN is the one you have linked to your agent number
- your client's TFN/ABN is correct
- if you have more than one ABN, you are using the right ABN (that is, the same ABN provided when completing your software provider notification or registered in Access Manager).
Can I use cloud software for other government agencies?
Yes. This solution is a whole-of-government initiative, with other participating government agencies. Contact your software provider or agency to confirm participating agencies.We have streamlined the way businesses and registered agents interact with us using SBR-enabled online cloud software.