Show download pdf controls
  • Registering your business

    All businesses need a tax file number (TFN). Your TFN identifies your business to us when lodging tax returns and in other dealings.

    If you're a sole trader, you use your individual TFN for both your business and personal dealings with us.

    If you operate your business as a partnership, company or trust, a separate TFN is required.

    In addition to a TFN, some Norfolk Island businesses will need an Australian business number (ABN). This is a unique 11-digit number that identifies your business to government, other businesses and the community.

    For Norfolk Island businesses, you only need an ABN if you:

    • are trading on the Australian mainland
    • want to deal with us online – you'll need to set up a myGovID and link it to your ABN in Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM)
    • are an employer and you are required to register for fringe benefits tax (FBT).

    If you have employees, you also need to register for:

    • pay as you go (PAYG) withholding – all employers need to register for PAYG withholding so they can pay and report tax withheld from employees’ pay
    • FBT – if you provide your employees with certain types of benefits, in addition to their salary and wages.

    See also:

    Last modified: 21 Aug 2020QC 51473