Rental properties - claiming travel expenses deductions
What are travel expenses deductions?
Generally, the cost of travel you incur to inspect or maintain rental properties or to collect rent is an allowable deduction.
Claiming travel expenses for your rental property. This video lasts for 2 minutes and 25 seconds. Select the play button on the image to view or read the transcript.
You can claim travel expenses for:
- preparing the property for new tenants (except for the first tenants)
- inspecting the property during or at the end of tenancy
- undertaking repairs, where those repairs are because of damage or wear and tear incurred while you rented out the property
- maintaining the property, such as cleaning and gardening, while it is rented or available for rent
- collecting the rent
- visiting your agent to discuss your rental property.
Information about repairs and maintenance expenses, visit Rental properties - claiming repairs and maintenance expenses (NAT 72841).