Reportable fringe benefits

Benefits you receive because of your employment are included as fringe benefits your employer provides to you, even if your employer actually provides them to an associate of yours. If the value of certain fringe benefits your employer provides to you or your associate exceeds $2,000 in an FBT year (for example, 1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016), your employer must record the grossed-up taxable value of those benefits on your payment summary for the corresponding income year (for example, 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016). This amount is known as your reportable fringe benefits amount.

The total amount of reportable fringe benefits you receive from all your employers for a year is called your reportable fringe benefits total.

Benefits not reportable

Some fringe benefits do not have to be reported on your payment summary, although your employer still has to pay FBT on these benefits.

These benefits are called excluded benefits and can include:

  • car parking fringe benefits you receive, apart from eligible car parking expense payments
  • remote area housing assistance, home ownership schemes, and repurchase schemes where the value of the benefit is reduced under FBT law
  • costs of occasional travel to a major Australian population centre by you and your family if you live in a remote area
  • freight costs for your food if you live in a remote area
  • fringe benefits you receive to ensure your security and personal safety because of your job
  • emergency or other essential health care you receive as an Australian citizen or permanent resident while you are working outside Australia and you cannot claim a Medicare benefit
  • certain Australian Government overseas living allowance payments
  • certain benefits provided to you if you are a defence force member
  • certain benefits provided to you if you are a police officer
  • car benefits coming from your private use of pooled or shared cars.
    Last modified: 23 Jun 2016QC 16122