What overseas travel expenses can you claim?

If you are an Australian resident and own a rental property overseas, you may travel overseas on holiday and inspect your rental property at the same time.

If the main purpose of the trip is a holiday, you cannot claim the cost of getting there - you can only claim local expenses directly related to inspecting the property, such as taxi fares and part of your accommodation expenses.

If we select your travel expense claim for review or audit, you must be able to show your reason for visiting the rental property.

The records you keep, such as invoices for your accommodation or airline tickets, will help you do this. If you spend six or more nights away from where you live, you must keep a travel diary or similar document that shows the nature of the activities, dates, places, times and duration of your activities and travel.

    Last modified: 05 Jul 2016QC 22093