What written evidence do you need?

If you travel over a considerable distance to inspect a rental property (for example, interstate), you need written evidence to show that you travelled and what expense you incurred.

Written records can include:

  • a travel diary
  • receipts for  
    • airline tickets
    • fuel
    • accommodation
    • other purchases while travelling
    • items you used for repairs and maintenance that you purchased when you travelled to or stayed near the rental property.

If you spend six or more nights away from where you live, you must keep a travel diary or similar document that shows the nature of the activities, dates, places, times and duration of your activities and travel.

    Last modified: 05 Jul 2016QC 22093