Show download pdf controls
  • Bushfires 2019–20

    The 2019–20 Australian bushfires devasted large parts of Australia, with major fires peaking between November 2019 and March 2020.

    Whether you’re an individual, business owner or primary producer, if you're facing problems with your tax or superannuation obligations following the bushfires, we will work with you to get things back on track.

    Phone us on 1800 806 218 so we can find a solution based on your individual circumstance.

    Find out about:

    Support is available

    Depending on your circumstances, there is a range of assistance measures available including:

    • giving you extra time to pay your debt or lodge tax forms such as activity statements
    • helping you re-construct tax records that are lost or damaged
    • helping you find your lost tax file number (TFN) by using methods to verify your identity such as your date of birth, address and bank account details
    • re-issuing tax returns, activity statements and notices of assessment
    • fast tracking any refunds owed
    • setting up a payment plan tailored to your individual circumstances including interest-free period
    • remitting penalties or interest charged during the time you have been affected.

    You may be eligible for temporary cash flow support or early access to some of your superannuation, or you may be able to defer your income tax, fringe benefits tax and excise payment due dates. These assistance measures support those who have been affected by the economic downturn associated with COVID-19.

    See also:

    Contacting us

    Phone our Emergency Support Infoline on 1800 806 218.

    If you prefer to speak to us in a language other than English, phone the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50 for help with your call.

    Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people can phone our Indigenous Helpline on 13 10 30.

    If you have difficulty hearing or speaking to people who use a phone, you can contact us through the National Relay ServiceExternal Link (NRS).

    PAYG instalments

    You can vary your pay as you go (PAYG) instalment by revising your activity statement.

    See also:

    Monthly GST credits

    You can change your GST reporting cycle to a monthly basis and get quicker access to net amount refunds without changing your PAYG withholding reporting cycle. You manage this by specifying the roles you are changing.

    You can't change your election back to quarterly until 12 months after you elected to change to monthly.

    If your GST turnover is more than $20 million you must pay and report monthly.

    If you are also registered for fuel tax credits, electing to change your GST reporting from quarterly to monthly means you will also need to claim your fuel tax credits monthly.

    There are three ways you can change your GST reporting cycle:

    • Contact your tax or BAS agent
    • Use the Business Portal
    • Phone us on 13 72 26.

    See also:

    Super guarantee obligations

    By law, we can't vary the contribution due date or waive the super guarantee charge on late super guarantee payments.

    Employers will still need to meet their super guarantee obligations for their employees.

    See also:

    Tax and BAS agents

    Tax practitioners and their clients affected by this natural disaster can access additional support.

    See also:

    Next step:

      Last modified: 28 Jul 2020QC 60611