Show download pdf controls
  • Notifying us

    When someone has died, it is a good idea to let us know about their death if any of the following applies:

    • the deceased person had a tax file number (TFN)
    • the deceased person has ever lodged a tax return
    • the deceased person should have lodged a tax return.

    On this page:

    How to notify us that someone has died

    Unofficial notification of death

    Phone us on 13 28 61 to give an unofficial notification of a death. This will stop mail being issued until we receive an official notification of death.

    The following people are authorised to notify us of a death:

    • an authorised contact of the deceased person
    • next of kin.

    Official notification of death

    We may receive information from other government agencies notifying us that someone has died. We will use this information to update our records.

    You can officially notify us online using the Australia Post process or by paper.

    If you lodge online, you must:

    • provide a contact phone number
    • attend an interview at a participating Australia Post outlet
    • take the death certificate (or a certified copy) to the interview.

    If you complete the paper form Notification of a deceased person (NAT 74279), you must include a certified copy of the death certificate. You should post the notification to the address on the form.

    See also:

    Notifying us if you are the authorised person

    If you are the nominated executor with grant of probate or an administrator with letters of administration, you will need to either:

    This will allow us to record you as the legal personal representative (LPR) and add your contact information on the deceased person's record.

    If you are an executor or family member without probate or letters of administration we can still talk to you. However, we may not be able to disclose certain information or transfer assets to you (such as an income tax refund due to the deceased person).

    Using a solicitor or tax agent

    If you are the LPR and have engaged a solicitor or tax agent to help you administer the estate, they will be added as authorised contacts on the deceased person's record. The tax agent you appoint will be able to access this record through Online services for agents.

    If you are an executor or family member without grant of probate or letters of administration, we can't record you or your representative as authorised contacts on the deceased person's record. We will note that a representative has been appointed and we may be able to lawfully disclose information to them. However, this will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

    Notifying the super fund

    If you are a potential beneficiary of a deceased person's superannuation (super) or the LPR of their estate, you can contact the deceased person's super fund to let them know that the person has died and discuss the release of the super.

    Business partnership

    If the deceased person is a partner of a partnership (an association of people who carry on a business and distribute income or losses between themselves), on their death the partnership is dissolved.

    See also:

    Next steps:

    Last modified: 20 May 2020QC 49903