Australian Defence Force members - claiming work-related expenses
About this guide
This guide will help you work out what common work-related expenses you can claim a tax deduction for and the conditions you must meet before you can claim your expenses.
This guide looks at:
- travel expenses, including motor vehicle expenses
- uniform, occupation-specific or protective clothing, including laundry and dry-cleaning expenses
- mess fees and related expenses
- other expenses, such as phones, computers and laptops.
There may be other deductions you can claim that are not included in this guide. For a list of helpful resources, see More information.
For comprehensive information about tax deductions specifically for members of the Australian Defence Force, refer to TR 95/17 - Income tax: employee work-related deductions of employees of the Australian Defence Force.
When you sign the declaration your tax return, you are declaring that:
- everything you have told us is true
- you can support your claims with written evidence.