Australian Defence Force members – claiming work-related expenses
This information will help you work out what common work-related expenses you can claim a tax deduction for and the conditions you must meet before you can claim your expenses including:
- travel expenses, including motor vehicle expenses
- uniform, occupation-specific or protective clothing, including laundry and dry-cleaning expenses
- mess fees and related expenses
- other expenses, such as phones, computers and laptops.
For comprehensive information about tax deductions specifically for members of the Australian Defence Force, refer to TR 95/17 Income tax: employee work-related deductions of employees of the Australian Defence Force.
When you sign the declaration your tax return, you are declaring that:
- everything you have told us is true
- you can support your claims with written evidence.