• Flight attendants – claiming work-related expenses

    This guide will help you work out what work-related expenses you can claim a tax deduction for and the conditions you must meet before you can claim if you are a flight attendant or cabin crew member.

    To navigate through this guide, use the table of contents on the right. General topics lead to more detailed information about your particular situation.

    Throughout this guide we highlight:

    • key information with the symbol
    • pointers to more information and extra steps you may need to take with the symbol.

    For a print friendly version of this guide, click on the print icon on the right.

    When you complete the declaration on your income tax return, you are declaring that:

    • everything you have told us is true
    • you can support your claims with written evidence.

    You are responsible for providing proof of your expenses, even if you use a registered tax agent to prepare your return.

    When you can make a claim

    To claim a work-related deduction:

    • you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
    • it must be directly related to earning your income
    • you must have a record to prove it

    If you are claiming a deduction for an expense you incurred for something you used partly for work and partly for private purposes (such as mobile phone costs), you can only claim that portion of the expense that relates to your work use.

    Evidence to support your claims

    If your total claims add up to more than $300 (excluding claims for car, meal allowance, award transport payment allowance and travel allowance expenses), you must keep written evidence, such as receipts. Your written evidence must show you have incurred the full amount of your claim, not just the amount over the first $300. The receipts must be in English. However, if the expense was incurred in a foreign country, the receipt can be in a language of that country.

    If the total amount you are claiming is $300 or less, you do not need to keep receipts but you must be able to show how you worked out your claims.

    • You need to keep your written evidence of work-related expenses for five years from the due date for lodging your income tax return.
    • If you lodge your income tax return after the due date, the five years start from this later date.
      Last modified: 04 May 2017QC 24416