Show download pdf controls
  • Common expenses R–S

    Details on claiming common fitness and sporting industry expenses for:

    Removal and relocation expenses

    You can’t claim a deduction for the cost to transfer or relocate to a new work location. This is the case whether the move is a condition of your existing job or you are taking up a new job.

    Repairs to tools and equipment

    You can claim a deduction for repairs to tools and equipment you use for work. If you also use them for private purposes, you can only claim an amount for your work-related use.

    Self-education and study expenses

    You can claim a deduction for self-education and study expenses if it directly relates to your current employment as a fitness or sporting industry employee and it:

    • maintains or improves the skills and knowledge you need for your current duties
    • results in or is likely to result in an increase in your income from your current employment.

    You can’t claim a deduction if the self-education or study course:

    • doesn't have a connection with your current employment
    • only relates in a general way to your current employment
    • enables you to get employment or change employment.

    If your self-education and study expenses are deductible, you can claim expenses such as course fees, student and amenities fees, textbooks, academic journals and stationery expenses. You will also be able to claim a deduction for the decline in value of any depreciating assets which cost more than $300 that you use for your work-related study.

    You can't claim a deduction for the repayments you make on your study or training support loan. Study and training support loans include:

    • Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
    • VET Student Loans (VETSL)
    • Trade Support Loan Program (TSL)
    • Student Financial Supplement Scheme (SFSS)
    • Student Start-up Loan (SSL).

    While course fees may be deductible, fees you incur under the Higher Education Contribution Scheme Higher Education Loan Program (HECS-HELP) scheme are not deductible.

    If you have set aside a home office to do your study, you may also be able to claim home office running expenses, but not occupancy expenses. You generally can't claim a deduction for the first $250 of expenses for self-education.

    Example: study directly relevant to employment

    Ariel is a personal fitness instructor in a gym. She is undertaking an extension of this training so that she can run small group fitness sessions as part of her role.

    Ariel is eligible to claim a deduction for her study expenses because her study is improving her skills as a fitness instructor and is relevant to her employment.

    Ariel incurs deductible self-education expenses of $2,100 in the income year for tuition fees, textbooks and deductible travel expenses. She also incurs $80 of childcare fees and $70 in travel expenses that aren't ordinarily deductible self-education expenses.

    Self-education expenses are broken into five categories, Ariel's expenses are both 'category A' and 'category E' expenses, so she will need to reduce her claim for self-education expenses as follows:

    $250 reduction − self-education expenses not normally deductible (category E) = reduction amount

    $250 − ($80 + $70) = $100

    Deductible self-education expenses (category A) − reduction amount = total claim amount

    $2,100 − $100 = $2,000

    Ariel can claim a deduction of $2,000 for her self-education expenses.

    End of example


    Example: self-education expenses

    Dana is studying a Bachelor of Health Science while working as a receptionist for a sports clinic. She is offered a new position assisting a sports therapist on an understanding that she will continue her studies.

    Dana can't claim her study expenses while employed as a receptionist. She can claim her study expenses while employed as an assistant sports therapist.

    End of example


    Example: self-education expenses not deductible

    Geoff is a sports massage therapist. Geoff would like to progress his career and is studying a Bachelor in Physiotherapy.

    As this course is only related in a general way to Geoff's current employment and the course is designed to lead to a new income-earning activity, he can't claim a deduction for the cost associated with undertaking the course.

    End of example

    For more detailed information and record keeping, see Self-education expenses.

    See also:

    Seminars, conferences and training courses

    You can claim a deduction for the cost of seminars, conferences and training courses that relate to your work as a fitness and sporting industry employee.

    The costs you can claim includes fares to attend the venue where the seminar, conference or training course is held and registration costs. If you need to travel and stay away from home overnight to attend such an event, you can also claim the cost of accommodation and meals.

    You may not be able to claim all of your expenses if attending a seminar, conference or training course is for both work-related and private purposes. If the private purpose is incidental, such as a catered lunch or a reception for delegates, you can still claim all your expenses. However, if the main purpose is not work-related, such as attending a conference while on a holiday, you can only claim the direct costs. Direct costs include the registration costs.

    Where you have a dual purpose for attending the seminar, conference or training course, for example you add a holiday of one week to a training course that runs for one week, then you can only claim the work-related portion.

    Example: training course not deductible

    Sally is employed as a sports massage therapist. Her employer requests that she undertake a two-day dry-needling course to increase her knowledge base. Her employer pays for her to attend the course.

    Sally can't claim a deduction as she did not incur any expenses for attending the course.

    End of example

    Sunglasses, sunhats and sunscreens

    You can claim a deduction for the work-related use of sunglasses, sunhats and sunscreen lotions if you:

    • must work in the sun for extended periods
    • use these items to protect yourself from the real and likely risk of illness or injury while at work.

    This includes prescription sunglasses and anti-glare glasses.

    You can only claim a deduction for the work-related use of the products if you also wear them for private purposes.

    For more fitness and sporting industry employees' expenses, see:

      Last modified: 17 Feb 2021QC 19680