Show download pdf controls
  • Other income

    Other income you need to declare on your tax return at item 24Y includes:

    Compensation and insurance payments for lost salary or wages

    You must declare any amounts you received for lost salary or wages under an income protection, sickness or accident insurance policy or workers compensation scheme.

    If you've made a personal injury claim and you agree to a settlement, or a court orders in your favour, you may receive compensation in the form of a lump sum payment or structural (periodic) payments (or both). Such payments are tax-free, provided certain conditions are met.

    You don't include payments made to you under an income protection, sickness or accident insurance policy (where the premiums are deductible and the payments replaced income) at this question, if:

    • tax has already been withheld
    • you've already included them on your tax return.

    Discounted shares or rights to shares under employee share schemes

    If you participate in an employee share scheme (ESS) to receive discounted shares or rights to acquire shares, you must declare the discount you received on your tax return.

    The type of scheme you participate in, and in some cases your personal circumstances, will determine how any discount you receive is treated for tax purposes.

    See also:

    Prizes and awards

    If you've won something in a prize draw or lottery run by your bank, building society, credit union or other investment body, you must declare on your tax return the value of any benefits or prizes you received. Prizes may include cash, low-interest or interest-free loans, holidays or cars.

    However, you don't need to declare prizes won in ordinary lotteries such as lotto draws and raffles.

    If you've been a game show contestant, you only declare prizes you won if you regularly receive appearance fees or game-show winnings.

    If you sell or otherwise dispose of an asset that was a prize from a lottery, you may make a capital gain, which must be declared on your tax return.

    See also:

    ATO interest – remissions or recoupments

    You must declare any amount of interest we impose that is remitted or recouped, if you have claimed a deduction, or can claim a deduction for that interest.

    See also:

    Last modified: 13 Jun 2017QC 31968