Show download pdf controls
  • Returning to your home country

    On this page:

    Lodging your tax return

    If you worked in Australia you will probably need to lodge an Australian tax return after 30 June. You can lodge your return online from your home country.

    If you are leaving Australia permanently you may be eligible to lodge an Australian tax return early. In this case you must lodge a paper return, which takes longer to process.

    If you still have assets in Australia

    If you have been an Australian resident but are leaving Australia and keeping assets here, you should know about capital gains tax (CGT) and going overseas.

    Claiming your super

    Any super contributions paid by your employer must remain in your super fund account while you are in Australia.

    You can claim your super after you leave if you:

    • were in Australia on an eligible temporary-resident visa (but not if you were on visa subclasses 405 and 410)
    • had super contributions paid by an employer while you were in Australia
    • have left Australia and your working visa has either expired or been cancelled.

    Before your super is paid to you, your fund will deduct tax.

    Apply online for a departing Australia super payment (DASP)

    This is a free service and your eligibility is confirmed automatically.

    New Zealand citizens and permanent residents of Australia are not eligible for the departing Australia super payment. The Trans-Tasman Retirement Savings Portability Scheme permits transfers of retirement savings between super funds for people who emigrate from one county to the other.

    See also:

    Claiming GST and WET refunds

    You may be able to claim a refund of the goods and services tax (GST) and wine equalisation tax (WET) included in the price of goods you bought in Australia. You do this at the airport or seaport when you actually leave.

    See also:

    Last modified: 30 May 2015QC 33235