Extension of due date for certain payments of non-resident withholding tax
If you had interest or dividend income while you were a non-resident, you need to disclose this in your income tax return for the relevant financial year. If the payer has not withheld your tax liability, you may be given an extension until the payment is due or when it would be due.
Until further notice, the Commissioner of Taxation has deferred the time at which certain withholding tax liabilities are due and payable by a non-resident taxpayer who satisfies all of these conditions:
- The income is interest or dividend income derived by the taxpayer during their year of income for the year of tax when the taxpayer was a non-resident.
- The taxpayer has disclosed the interest or dividend income in an income tax return they have lodged for the relevant financial year.
- The taxpayer has a withholding tax liability in respect of that interest or dividend income.
- The payer of the interest or dividend has not withheld the amount of the withholding tax liability from the payment.
For a taxpayer who satisfies all of the above conditions, the due date for payment of the withholding tax on the interest or dividend income so disclosed is deferred to either:
- the due date for payment of the taxpayer's income tax liability in respect of their income year for the relevant financial year, or
- if the taxpayer does not have an income tax liability in respect of their income year for the relevant financial year, the date on which income tax would have been payable if the taxpayer had an income tax liability in respect of their income year for the relevant financial year.
Payment of withholding tax
Under Section 128C of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 (ITAA 1936), the person liable to pay the withholding tax must do so by the 21st day after the end of the month in which the interest or dividend income is derived.
Deferral of payment
Subsection 255-10(2A) of Schedule 1 of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 allows the Commissioner to defer the time for payment of tax-related liabilities (including withholding tax) due and payable by a class of taxpayers. The Commissioner defers the payment by publishing a notice on our website. The Commissioner can defer the time for payment whether or not the liability has already arisen.
Information on the deferral of payment due date for certain payments of withholding tax payable by certain individual non-residents.