Show download pdf controls
  • Help with the DASP online application system

    The following topics will assist you when using the DASP online application systemExternal Link:

    Creating a shared secret

    When you first enter the DASP online application system, you will be asked to create a 'shared secret' by selecting a question and supplying your answer. Whenever you revisit the system, you'll need to answer the question correctly.

    This aims to prevent unauthorised persons from seeing your application. For added security, your question and answer will be stored in the system in an encrypted format.

    When creating your shared secret, there are 10 questions you can choose from. Select a question that only you will know the answer to. Your answer may:

    • be any text from 1 to 20 characters long
    • be one or more words
    • include numbers.

    If you enter any extra spaces before, between, or following your answer, these will be ignored by the system when the answer is saved.

    The most important thing is that you remember your answer, as you will need to enter it if you return to the system. You will be given three chances to type the correct answer when you want to re-enter the system.

    Forgotten the answer to your shared secret?

    You can contact us by phone or email if you've forgotten the answer to your shared secret question:

    If you email us, you should provide your:

    • full name
    • date of birth
    • email address and telephone number
    • passport country
    • passport number
    • tax file number (TFN) – this is optional; however supplying it assists in locating your account and processing your request.

    Note: Email is an unsecure channel and may take up to 28 days for you to receive advice that your shared secret has been removed

    Information you must provide with your claim

    If you apply using the DASP online application system, you will need to provide your:

    • name, date of birth and other personal details
    • email address
    • passport country
    • passport number
    • TFN (optional)
    • super account details, including your super fund (provider)'s Australian business number (ABN) – you can use the system to search for the ABN based on the fund's name.

    If we have any records of your super, the system will automatically present an application for each super account found during the search. You must then supply as much additional information as possible, such as the super fund number, the fund's client identification and the date you joined the fund. Your superannuation statements should help you find this information.

    To find out about information requirements for claims made directly to your super fund by completing the paper form, refer to the Application for a departing Australia superannuation payment form (NAT 7204).

    If you don’t know your super fund's ABN, contact the fund directly, or use Super Fund LookupExternal Link to search for the fund's postal address and ABN.

    Your TFN is optional

    You do not have to provide your Australian tax file number (TFN); however, if you enter your TFN in DASP Online, the system will search for your super accounts and display them for you to claim.

    If you don't provide your TFN, you will need to provide details of your super accounts to make your claim.

    You can find your TFN on:

    • your income tax notice of assessment (NOA)
    • any correspondence we have sent you
    • copies of your payment summaries from your employer.

    If you have a registered tax agent, you can ask them for your TFN.

    If you still can't find your TFN, you can either:

    Incorrect visa information

    The DASP online application system has been updated to obtain visa information from Home Affairs if you have held a WHM visa. The 'Visa information' screen will advise whether you have or have not held a WHM visa.

    Once you've submitted your application, your visa information will be forwarded to your super fund and your super fund will use it to determine the appropriate DASP tax rate.

    Where the information on the 'Visa information' screen is incorrect, for example, the screen stated you held a WHM visa and you have never held a WHM visa, do not submit your online application. You will need to contact Home Affairs by submitting the Form 1194 Certification of immigration status and/or request to cancel a Temporary Resident visa (PDF, 290KB)External Link and send a paper application to your super funds.

    When completing the Form 1194, include a cover note with as much information as possible regarding the visas you have held. Home Affairs will investigate your visa information before emailing you and your super fund the Certificate of Immigration.

    If the visa information is still incorrect on the certificate, you can contact Home Affairs by reply email. You will also need to contact your super fund to let them know that you are contacting Home Affairs due to incorrect visa information.

    You can still submit your application through DASP Online after Home Affairs have corrected your visa information. However, make sure that your visa information on the 'Visa information' screen is correct before you submit your application.

    Note: If the visa information shown in DASP Online or on the Certificate of Immigration from Home Affairs is incorrect and you still submit your application, you may be taxed at the wrong DASP tax rate as your super fund will use the visa information provided to calculate tax.

    If an intermediary claims DASP on your behalf through DASP Online, they will also be shown whether or not you have held a WHM visa. Make sure they have your correct visa information and only submit an application for you when the details are correct. If the visa information is incorrect, you may be charged the wrong DASP tax rate.

    Your intermediaries cannot make enquiries regarding visa information with Home Affairs on your behalf, unless you authorise them to do so with the Home Affairs.

    Find out about:

    See also:

    If DASP Online doesn’t find your super

    If you know you have super, but the DASP online application system doesn't locate it, you can select 'Add application' on the ‘Add an application’ page and start a claim using the Australian business number (ABN) belonging to the fund that holds your super.

    If you’re not sure of your super fund's ABN, you can check this on the fund's statement or the Super Fund LookupExternal Link.

    Re-entering the online system

    To re-enter the DASP online application system, you need to provide your personal details and answer the shared secret question you created.

    To view your existing applications, you must enter exactly the same personal details (TFN, name, passport details and date of birth) you used when accessing the system for the first time. If you supplied your TFN the first time, you should supply it when re-entering the system. If you did not supply your TFN the first time, you should not supply it next time.

    If you don't provide exactly the same details, you will still be able to create a new application, but not view existing applications.

    Viewing claims you've created

    The ‘Applications for Payment’ page presents a summary of applications you’ve created. Applications will be displayed by their status:

    • submitted – if it’s been sent to the holder of your super
    • rejected – if the fund has rejected the claim
    • new application – if you have created but not yet submitted the claim
    • not to be forwarded – if you elected to hold the claim
    • transferred – if your fund rejected the claim because they transferred your super to another fund, or to us.

    Although you can re-enter the system and view applications you submitted, you cannot tell whether your super fund has processed the claim.

    Generally, a super fund will process a claim within 28 days, unless they require more information from you. Contact the fund directly for enquiries regarding your claim.

    If an application you saved or submitted is not displayed, it is likely that you entered different personal details when you accessed the system this time, than what you originally entered.

    If you need to change your claim

    Once a claim has been submitted to your fund it appears on the ‘Submitted applications’ page in the DASP online application system and can be viewed, but not changed. So, check the details carefully before you submit the claim.

    To make changes, you will need to contact your fund directly. The contact details of the fund are also displayed on the ‘Submitted applications’ page.

    It is possible to view and update claims that you’ve saved in DASP Online before submitting them to your fund or to us. To access the application you will need to answer the shared secret you created when saving the claim.

    Response and processing times

    Eligibility verification

    It usually takes around 45 seconds for the system to perform an online check and to search for your super. Make sure you enter exactly the same details as they appear on your passport, so we can identify you.

    Online application

    Online applications should take around 30 minutes to complete.

    Checking progress of your claim

    The service standard for processing a DASP claim is 28 days from when you lodged your complete application.

    If, after 28 days, you haven't received your DASP, and your super money is held with your fund, contact your super fund directly to enquire on the progress of your claim.

    If, after 28 days, you haven't received your DASP, and your superannuation money is held by us, contact us about the progress of your claim.

    When lodging your online DASP application, if your super money was held by us, your application would have shown 'Payment of unclaimed superannuation money', 'Superannuation guarantee' or 'Superannuation holding accounts reserve' instead of the super fund name.

    Note: The DASP online application system allows you to re-enter the system to view your claim but does not provide the status or progress of your application.

    Other matters

    Claiming super for a deceased temporary resident

    If you believe you may be entitled to receive the super benefits of a deceased temporary resident you cannot use the application system to make the claim. The system is only available to temporary residents to claim their own super, or to DASP intermediaries that have been authorised to claim on behalf of their temporary resident clients.

    To claim super held by a fund for a deceased temporary resident, contact the fund directly.

    If you believe you are entitled to claim super we are holding for a deceased temporary resident, you should complete the relevant ATO-held super claim form.

    See also:

    You cannot submit a claim before leaving Australia

    You may only submit a claim for DASP once you have left Australia and your visa has ceased to be in effect (expired or cancelled).

    If you are still in Australia, or your visa is still in effect, you may commence and save a DASP claim using the online application system, but you cannot submit it until you are eligible to apply.

    Every time you access the system you must enter exactly the same personal details.

    Cancelling your visa if you've departed Australia

    If you have departed Australia, but your visa is still in effect, you will need to have your visa cancelled before you can submit a DASP claim. You can do this by sending a request to the Home AffairsExternal Link. You will need to complete parts A, C and D of the Certification of Immigration Status and/or request to cancel a Temporary Resident visa (Form 1194).

    Alternatively, you can make a request by emailing with the following information:

    • a clear statement that you wish to have your visa cancelled
    • your full name and date of birth
    • your passport number when you visited Australia
    • the subclass of the visa you wish to have cancelled
    • your current residential address
    • the date that you departed Australia.

    You must also provide details of all people who:

    • hold a visa because they are a member of your family unit
    • hold a visa only because you hold your visa, including people who were included in your visa application.

    Home Affairs does not charge a fee for cancelling a temporary resident visa.

    Returning to Australia later on a new visa

    Claiming a DASP will not affect any future visa applications.

    If you have any questions about your current or future immigration status, or visa, contact Home Affairs by:

      Last modified: 14 Dec 2018QC 24169