Toggle left hand content menu
  • Investing in Australian property

    If you are a foreign resident and you receive rental income from a property in Australia, you need to:

    You must declare the rental income in your tax return, and you can claim tax deductions for many of the related expenses.

    When you sell your Australian property you have to pay a tax on any capital gain you make. A capital gain is the difference between what it cost you to get the property and what you received when you disposed of it.

    If you invest in commercial premises - such as a shop, factory or office - you may be liable for a 10% goods and services tax (GST), and entitled to claim GST credits, when you buy, sell or lease these premises. Most residential accommodation is exempt from GST.

    • Last modified: 25 May 2013QC 33223