Show download pdf controls
  • Capital gains on overseas assets

    As an Australian resident, you are generally taxed on any capital gains you make on overseas assets – for example, when you sell an overseas property. You must report the gain in your tax return.

    If the gain is taxable in Australia and you've paid foreign tax on it, you may be entitled to a foreign income tax offset.

    See also:

    Last modified: 30 May 2015QC 33243