Show download pdf controls
  • Going overseas

    If you remain an Australian resident overseas:

    • You must lodge an Australian tax return and declare all your foreign employment income, including any exempt income.
    • You must declare that income even if tax was taken out in the country where you earned it.
    • You can lodge your return online from overseas.
    • We recommend you log in to your account and turn off the myGov security code featureExternal Link before you lose access to your Australian mobile number. If you have access to your number overseas, you can keep this feature turned on.

    If your residency status changes, your tax situation will change in a number of ways.

    Find out about:

    Last modified: 26 Jun 2018QC 33206