Show download pdf controls
  • Investing overseas

    As an Australian resident, you are taxed on your worldwide income, including foreign income from:

    You must declare income from all sources in your Australian tax return. If you have paid tax on any of this income in another country, you can claim a foreign income tax offset in Australia.

    For a summary on income derived from overseas, download Foreign income (PDF 642KB)This link will download a file.

    Foreign income

    Income from employment and personal services

    If you have worked overseas or provided services to an organisation located outside of Australia, you will need to declare all relevant income, as if it were earned in Australia. This may include:

    • salary and wages
    • directors fees
    • consultancy fees
    • business income
    • any other remuneration.

    There are some specific circumstances in which the foreign salary is exempt, see Exempt foreign employment income.

    Income from assets and investments

    If you own assets or investments overseas you will need to declare all relevant returns as if they were in Australia. This may include:

    • interest from bank deposits or bonds
    • dividends from shares
    • royalties from intellectual property
    • rental income from real estate
    • pensions, annuities and lump sums from managed funds
    • income streams from super funds
    • some government pensions.

    Find out about:

    See also:

    Capital gains on overseas assets

    If you own an asset overseas, you may have to pay Australian tax when you sell the asset. You need to keep appropriate records.

    If you acquired an overseas asset before you became an Australian resident, you are taken to have acquired the asset at the time you became a resident.

    Similarly, if you stop being an Australian resident while holding an overseas asset, you are deemed to have disposed of that asset at the time you stop being a resident.

    To accurately calculate the capital gain or loss, ensure you keep a record of the value of your asset at these times. This is a complex area of tax law and exemptions may apply.

    See also:

    What you need to remember

    Tax paid on income overseas

    If you have already paid tax in the country that you have derived the income from, you may be able to claim a foreign income tax offset credit.

    To be eligible for a foreign income tax offset credit you must:

    • have paid the tax on the income overseas
    • have records to prove that the tax has been paid.

    The offset amount you are entitled to will not always be the same amount of the tax paid overseas. If you are claiming more than $1,000 you will first need to work out your foreign income tax offset limit to determine your entitlement.

    See also:

    Convert foreign income to Australian dollars

    You must convert all foreign income, deductions and tax offsets to Australian dollars in your tax return.

    Depending on your circumstances and the type of income, you will need to use either the:

    • specific prevailing exchange rate
    • average exchange rate.

    See also:

    Apportion foreign income

    Unlike Australia, most countries do not have an income year ending 30 June. You may need to report foreign income amounts and associated tax offsets that you receive across multiple tax returns in Australia.

    You will need to determine which tax years the amounts align to and apportion them accordingly.

    Last modified: 05 Apr 2019QC 33239