Toggle left hand content menu
  • Use a registered tax agent

    You can use a registered tax agent to prepare and lodge your tax return for you.

    Registered tax agents are the only people allowed to charge a fee to prepare and lodge your tax return. They must be registered with the Tax Practitioners Board and follow strict regulations that ensure they act in a professional manner.

    Ask the agent about their fees and their expertise with the type of return you need their help with before you decide who to use. We cannot recommend specific agents.

    Most registered tax agents have special lodgment schedules and can lodge returns for their clients later than the usual 31 October deadline. However, if you did not go to a registered tax agent last year - or you will be going to a different tax agent this year - make sure you see them before 31 October.

    If you want to make a complaint about a registered tax agent, contact the Tax Practitioners Board.

    Get it done

    You can find a registered tax agent or check whether a person is a registered tax agent at the Tax Practitioners Board website Link

    End of get it done



    You are responsible for all the information on your tax return, even if a registered tax agent completes it for you. You must also sign a declaration stating that:

    • you have authorised the agent to lodge your tax return
    • the information you provided to the agent for the preparation of the tax return is true and correct.
    End of attention
  • Last modified: 16 Dec 2014QC 32109