Show download pdf controls
  • Your notice of assessment

    The notice of assessment we send you is an itemised account of the amount of tax you owe on your taxable income. It also contains other details that are not part of the assessment, such as the amount of credit you have for tax already paid during the income year.

    When you receive your notice of assessment, you should check everything is correct.

    Generally, unless you are using electronic funds transfer (EFT), the bottom section of your notice of assessment will be either your refund cheque or, if you owe tax, your payment advice.

    In some cases, we will send you a statement of account with your notice of assessment. If we do, we will attach your refund cheque or your payment advice to your statement of account.

    We will send you a statement of account with your notice of assessment when your account balance is different to the outcome of your assessment. This can happen when:

    • you incurred a penalty or general interest charge
    • we credited interest amounts to you
    • we offset credits to other tax debts (or debts you have with other government agencies)
    • you have an account opening balance that is not zero
    • you lodged returns for multiple financial years on the same day.

    Under the law, we have a period of time to review your tax return. During this time, we may increase or decrease the amount of tax payable (or refundable) on your initial notice of assessment. This review period is normally two years, but, in certain circumstances, it can be four years.

    See also:

    Automated assessment

    During tax time 2018, we will provide an assessment of income tax to a number of individuals. If you receive an automated assessment, you won't need to submit a tax return or refund of franking credits form.

    This follows the successful pilot of an automated refund of franking credits process during 2017.

    Who will receive an automated assessment?

    Approximately 60,000 individuals, whose simple tax affairs have not changed in the last two years, will be asked to participate.

    Tax agent clients are not included.

    How it works

    Each year, information from Centrelink, share registries and other third-parties is reported and processed on our systems. This information is used for pre-filling tax returns and other data-matching activities.

    When we receive the information we expect, based on your previous tax return or franking credit form, we will calculate, and issue you a notice of assessment.

    We expect to start issuing assessments from mid-July, with most expected to be finalised by mid-September. If you are one of the 60,000 individuals, we will send you a letter in mid-June detailing the process and indicate when you should expect your assessment.

      Last modified: 08 May 2019QC 16302