Show download pdf controls
  • Lodge a paper tax return

    You can use the paper Tax return for individuals and the Individual tax return instructions to lodge your paper tax return by mail. Most refunds are issued within 50 business days of lodgment.

    To get your refund faster – generally within 2 weeks – why not join over 3 million Australians and lodge your tax return online with myTax this year?

    Benefits of lodging with myTax




    I can do it myself

    paper, yes

    mytax, yes

    Fastest way to get my refund

    paper, no

    mytax, yes

    Environmentally friendly

    paper, no

    mytax, yes

    Auto-inputs some data

    paper, no

    mytax, yes

    Helpful messages to guide me

    paper, no

    mytax, yes

    Easy to amend a mistake

    paper, no

    mytax, yes

    Lodge now with myTax

    MyTax is accessed through myGov. If you don’t have a myGov account, you'll be asked to set one up first.

    How to lodge a paper tax return

    To lodge a paper tax return you will need:

    Alternatively, you can order a pack that includes the instructions and two copies of the tax return form either:

    You will also need to lodge the Tax return for individuals (supplementary section) if you have:

    • distributions from a partnership or trust
    • capital gains
    • foreign source income
    • rental income.

    The Individual tax return instructions (supplement) is only available online. You can order the supplementary section return form at the same time as you order your tax return form.

    You will also need to lodge the Business and professional items schedule for individuals if you have:

    • personal services income
    • a net income or loss from a business
    • deferred non-commercial business losses.

    The Business and professional items instructions are only available online.

    Contact us to request a copy of the Business and professional items schedule for individuals, along with your other tax return forms.

    Where to send your tax return

    Send your completed tax return to:

    Australian Taxation Office
    GPO Box 9845

    Note: do not replace the words IN YOUR CAPITAL CITY with your capital city and postcode.

    Sending your tax return from outside Australia

    If you are sending your paper tax return from overseas, change the address on the pre-addressed envelope by crossing out 'IN YOUR CAPITAL CITY' and replacing it with:


    It will help us if you also cross out the barcode above the address.

    If you are using your own envelope, mail it to:

    Australian Taxation Office
    GPO Box 9845

    See also:

    How to lodge online with myTax

    MyTax is available for all individuals who want to do their own tax return, including sole traders. MyTax is quick, easy, safe and secure and can be accessed on most devices such as tablets, smartphones or computers.


    This video shows a quick demonstration of lodging with myTax

    Media: [A quick demonstration of lodging with myTax] Link (Duration: 03:08)

    See also:

    Last modified: 29 Jun 2018QC 32121