Show download pdf controls
  • Lodging your first tax return

    If you had tax taken from any income you received during the financial year, you need to lodge a tax return unless you fall within certain exceptions.

    If you’re unsure whether you need to lodge, use our Do I need to lodge a tax return tool below to find out.

    If this is your first year lodging a tax return, follow these tips to make tax time simple.

    Next step:

    How to lodge your tax return

    You can choose to prepare and lodge your own return or use a registered tax agent.

    Lodge online with myTax

    To lodge online with myTax, follow these steps:

    1. Create a myGov account
    2. Link your myGov account to the ATO.
    3. Lodge with myTax

    Create a myGov account

    myGov is a fast, simple way to access government services online. A secure myGov account lets you link to a range of Australian Government services with one username and password, all in one place.

    Make sure you add your mobile number in order to use SMS code as your sign-in option for myGov. It's a quick and secure way to sign in and access ATO online services.

    Create a myGov account now

    If you already have a myGov account but have forgotten your username or password, select the links to recover your usernameExternal Link or recover your passwordExternal Link.

    Link your myGov account to the ATO

    Select the Services tab on your myGov home page and select Australian Taxation Office. You will be prompted to update your sign-in option to use security codes if you did not add your mobile number when creating your myGov account.

    You will need to provide information to identify your ATO record, including your given name, surname, tax file number and date of birth.

    You will then need to confirm your identity by answering two questions specific to you, using information contained in two of the following:

    • a notice of assessment received in the last five years
    • an income statement or payment summary received in the last two years
    • a super account statement from the last five years
    • a dividends statement from the last two years
    • a Centrelink payment summary from the last two years, or
    • your bank account details. If you choose to use your bank account to confirm your identity, it must be an account you had your individual income tax refund paid into last year, or one that has earned interest in the last two years.

    If you do not have enough information, you will need to call us to get a unique linking code to help you complete this process. When you call, make sure you have your identification information ready, such as your tax file number (TFN), driver's licence or Medicare card.

    See also:


    This video shows how to create a myGov account and link to the ATO.

    Media: [How to create a myGov account and link to the ATO] Link (Duration: 03:56)

    You can watch How to create a myGov account and link to the ATOExternal Link in full screen on atoTV

    Lodge with myTax

    Once linked, you can access myTax through ATO online services. Click the lodge button to get started.

    Use a registered tax agent

    You can use a registered tax agent to prepare and lodge your tax return. Registered tax agents are the only people allowed to charge a fee to prepare and lodge your tax return.

    Next step:

    Tax return due date

    If you are preparing and lodging your own tax return, you have from 1 July to 31 October to lodge. If you lodge online in August or September, most of your information will already be pre-filled in your tax return. You'll be less likely to leave something out.


    This video shows the best time to lodge with myTax

    Media: [The best time to lodge with myTax] Link (Duration: 00:30)

    You can watch The best time to lodge with myTaxExternal Link in full screen on atoTV

    See also:

    Help services

    We offer a free service called Tax Help that can help you prepare and lodge your tax return.

    Next step:

    See also:

    Last modified: 01 Jul 2020QC 45962