Show download pdf controls
  • Prior year returns

    If you still need to lodge a tax return for a previous year, it’s important to get up to date as soon as possible to reduce the risk of a penalty.

    To find out if you need to lodge a return, visit Do I need to lodge a tax return?

    If you need to lodge a tax return for a prior year, you have three options:

    If you don't need to lodge a tax return, you need to tell us. The quickest way is using our online services through myGov. You can lodge an online non-lodgment advice from 2000. Older years you will need to be lodged via paper.

    If you’re having difficulties meeting your tax obligations, contact us as soon as possible.

    Lodge online

    You can lodge previous year's tax returns online with myTax from 2016.

    Lodge online

    You may also be able to lodge online for 2014 and 2015. Check if you are eligible:

    For 2013 and earlier, online lodgment for tax returns isn't available.

    If you are not eligible to use myTax 2014 or 2015 or want to lodge an earlier year's return, you will need to lodge either with a registered tax agent or via paper.

    Lodge with a registered tax agent

    Your tax agent can also help you lodge previous year returns.

    Lodge a paper tax return

    You can access the instructions and forms for previous year returns online at Prior years individuals tax return forms and schedules.

    Last modified: 01 Jul 2019QC 32111