Show download pdf controls
  • Tax Help program

    If you need help lodging your tax return, you may be eligible for the Tax Help program.

    Tax Help is a network of ATO-trained and accredited community volunteers who provide a free and confidential service to help people complete their tax returns online using myTax.

    On this page:

    Tax Help is available from the end of July to October in all capital cities and many regional areas across Australia.

    Our Tax Help program for 2020 will be delivered differently. This year volunteers will deliver this service in the following ways:

    • Face-to-face from selected Tax Help centres
    • Online through virtual assistance
    • Over the phone.


    This video is about the Tax Help program

    Media: About the Tax Help program Link (Duration: 00:21)

    You can watch About the Tax Help programExternal Link in full screen on atoTV.

    Are you eligible for Tax Help?

    You are eligible for Tax Help if your income is around $60,000 or less for the income year and you didn't:

    • work as a contractor, for example a contract cleaner or taxi driver
    • run a business, including as a sole trader
    • have partnership or trust matters
    • sell shares or an investment property
    • own a rental property
    • have capital gains tax (CGT)
    • receive royalties
    • receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund
    • receive foreign income, other than a foreign pension or annuity.

    What can volunteers help you with?

    Volunteers can help you lodge your tax return or amendment online or claim a refund of franking credits.

    If our volunteers work out that you don’t need to lodge a tax return, they can help you complete a non-lodgment advice.

    Make an appointment

    If you’re eligible for Tax Help, you will need a myGov account linked to the ATO. If necessary, our volunteers can help you create your myGov account and link to the ATO.

    When you are ready to make an appointment, phone us on 13 28 61 for Tax Help services available to you.

    Remember to have these with you for your appointment:

    • your myGov user ID and password – if you are unable to locate or remember your myGov details, or don't have a myGov account, our volunteers can help
    • your mobile phone to receive your myGov access code
    • your bank account details (BSB and account number)
    • your tax file number
    • an original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years
    • income statements from all sources
    • all your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses
    • details of any child support payments made
    • details of your spouse's (married or de-facto) taxable income or a reasonable estimate if you had a spouse at any time during the financial year.

    See also:

    For easy to read information about doing your tax, go to:

    Last modified: 02 Jul 2020QC 32082