Show download pdf controls
  • ATO-held USM for New Zealand permanent residents and citizens

    How New Zealand permanent residents and citizens with ATO-held USM can use a KiwiSaver scheme or receive payment.

    On this page

    New Zealand residents and citizens with unclaimed super

    If you are a New Zealand permanent resident or citizen who worked in Australia and was eligible for super, an amount may have been paid on your behalf into an Australian super fund account. In some circumstances, Australian super funds are required to transfer certain accounts to us as unclaimed super money (USM). This may occur, when the fund can no longer locate you, or your account is deemed an inactive low balance account. Money transferred to us in these circumstances is known as ATO-held USM.

    The Trans-Tasman Retirement Savings portability arrangement helps Australian and permanent New Zealand individuals – who emigrate between the two countries and intend to stay indefinitely or permanently – to take their retirement savings with them when they move across the Tasman.

    Changes to the law in December 2020 mean that if you have permanently emigrated to New Zealand or are a New Zealand citizen and you have ATO-held USM, you may be eligible to apply to transfer an amount to a New Zealand KiwiSaver scheme or have it directly paid to yourself where certain conditions are met. Tax may be payable on amounts directly paid to you.

    Upon receipt of an eligible application, we will transfer any ATO-held USM identified as belonging to you to your nominated KiwiSaver scheme.

    Who can complete this application

    You may be able to request to transfer your ATO-held USM if:

    • you have permanently emigrated to New Zealand and have worked in Australia and received super
    • you are a New Zealand citizen who worked in Australia and received super
    • unclaimed super money is held by the ATO (see below for amounts held by an Australian super fund)
    • you can provide enough information for the Commissioner to be satisfied that the money being held belongs to you.

    For more information, see searching for lost super.

    Who shouldn't complete this application

    This process only applies to amounts of ATO-held USM being transferred to New Zealand. You cannot request a transfer if you:

    • have been in Australia but were not eligible for super, you will not have amounts to claim
    • have amounts held by an Australian super fund, you will need to contact your Australian fund to arrange a transfer to your New Zealand KiwiSaver account.

    Where the money can be transferred to

    You may apply to have your ATO-held USM transferred directly to your New Zealand financial institution if:

    • you are 65 years or older, or
    • the amount is less than $200.

    It is important that you provide the correct bank account details, as we may be unable to recover money paid to an incorrect account.

    In all other cases, you must apply to have the amount transferred to a participating KiwiSaver scheme.

    For more information, see payment of ATO-held super.

    Before you complete this application

    Before you complete the Application for transfer of ATO-held USM to New Zealand, (NAT 75399, PDF 255KB)This link will download a file you will need to:

    Check that your KiwiSaver scheme is participating

    Not all KiwiSaver schemes have chosen to participate in this arrangement. It is important for you to check with your scheme that they will accept payments of ATO-held USM before you nominate them as your chosen scheme.

    Obtain the relevant information

    To enable us to match your ATO-held USM and transfer your money, the below information can help us identify you:

    • your Australian Tax File Number (TFN) – if you do not remember your TFN, review your options on Lost or stolen TFN
    • your passport number
    • your Australian super fund membership number
    • your New Zealand residential and/or postal address
    • your previous Australian residential address
    • details for your NZ KiwiSaver scheme provider including
      • name of KiwiSaver scheme
      • New Zealand business number of the scheme
      • KiwiSaver scheme name
      • KiwiSaver scheme number
      • KiwiSaver scheme membership number

    We recommend that you provide us a current email address so that we can contact you if we have any questions.

    How to lodge your application

    Currently, we can only accept and process paper applications to transfer ATO-held USM to your nominated KiwiSaver scheme.

    Once you have completed the form, send your application to us at:

    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 3578
    ALBURY  NSW  2640

      Last modified: 29 Nov 2022QC 67517