Show download pdf controls
  • ATO-held USM for New Zealand permanent residents and citizens

    The law has passed allowing eligible individuals to apply. However, processing of applications and payments will not be made until the end of 2022. Consider if you should apply later.

    New Zealand permanent residents and citizens who have ATO-held unclaimed super money can use this form to transfer the money to a KiwiSaver scheme provider, or receive a direct payment from us if certain criteria are met.

    On this page

    New Zealand residents and citizens with unclaimed super

    If you are a New Zealand permanent resident or citizen who worked in Australia and was eligible for super, an amount may have been paid on your behalf into an Australian super fund account. In some circumstances, Australian super funds are required to pay certain accounts to us as unclaimed super money (USM). This may occur, when the fund can no longer locate you, or your account is deemed an inactive low balance account. Money transferred to us in these circumstances is known as ATO-held USM.

    The Trans-Tasman Retirement Savings portability arrangement helps Australian and permanent New Zealand individuals – who emigrate between the two countries and intend to stay indefinitely or permanently – to take their retirement savings with them when they move across the Tasman.

    Changes to the law in December 2020 mean that if you have permanently emigrated to New Zealand or are a New Zealand citizen and you have ATO-held USM, you may be eligible to apply to transfer an amount to a New Zealand KiwiSaver scheme provider or have it directly paid to yourself where certain conditions are met. Tax may be payable on direct payments.

    Upon receipt of an eligible application, we will transfer any ATO-held USM identified as belonging to you to your nominated KiwiSaver scheme provider who will then transfer it to your KiwiSaver scheme fund.

    Who can complete this application

    You may be able to request to transfer your ATO-held USM if:

    • you have permanently emigrated to New Zealand who worked in Australia and received superannuation
    • you are a New Zealand citizen who worked in Australia and received superannuation
    • unclaimed superannuation money is held by the ATO (see below for amounts held by an Australian super fund)
    • you can provide enough information for the Commissioner to be satisfied that the money being held belongs to you.

    For more information, see searching for lost super.

    Who shouldn't complete this application

    This process only applies to amounts of ATO-held USM being transferred to New Zealand. You cannot request a transfer if you:

    • have been in Australia but were not eligible for superannuation, you will not have amounts to claim
    • have amounts held by an Australian super fund, you will need to contact your Australian fund to arrange a transfer to your New Zealand KiwiSaver account.
    • would like your ATO-held USM transferred to an Australian bank account.

    Where the money can be transferred to

    You may apply to have your ATO-held USM transferred directly to your New Zealand financial institution if:

    • you are 65 years or older, or
    • the amount is less than $200

    Tax may be payable.

    In all other cases, you must apply to have the amount transferred to a participating KiwiSaver scheme provider.

    For more information, see payment of ATO-held super.

    It is important that you provide the correct bank account details, as we may be unable to recover money paid to an incorrect account.

    Before you complete this application

    Before you complete the Application for transfer for ATO-held USM to New Zealand, (NAT 75399, PDF 255KB)This link will download a file you will need to:

    Check that your KiwiSaver scheme provider is participating

    Not all KiwiSaver scheme providers have chosen to participate in this arrangement. It is important for you to check with your provider that they will accept payments of ATO-held USM before you nominate them as your chosen provider.

    If your scheme is not participating, you may want to move to another provider or choose to receive your monies via the Trans-Tasman Retirement Savings Portability scheme.

    Obtain the relevant information

    To enable us to match your ATO-held USM, the below information can help us identify you:

    • Your Australian Tax File Number (TFN). If you do not remember your TFN, review your options on our Lost or stolen TFN page.
    • Your passport number.
    • Your Australian superannuation fund membership number.
    • Your New Zealand residential and/or postal address.
    • Your previous Australian residential address.
    • Details for your NZ KiwiSaver scheme provider. Don't forget to make sure your provider is participating.

    We recommend that you provide us with a current email address so that we can contact you quickly if we have any questions.

    How to lodge your application

    Currently, we can only accept and process paper applications to transfer ATO-held USM to your nominated KiwiSaver scheme provider.

    Once you have completed the form, send your application to us at:

    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 3578 
    ALBURY NSW 2640

      Last modified: 13 Dec 2021QC 67517