Show download pdf controls
  • Unpaid super

    If you think your employer is not paying your superannuation (super), we have a step-by-step process to help you investigate.

    Step 1

    Confirm that you are eligible for super guarantee (SG) before taking any further steps by using the Am I entitled to super? tool.

    Usually an employer has to pay super contributions for you if you're either:

    • 18 years old or over and are paid at least $450 (before tax) in salary or wages in a calendar month
    • under 18 years old, work more than 30 hours per week and are paid at least $450 in salary or wages (before tax) in a calendar month.

    It doesn’t matter if you work casual, part-time or full-time hours.

    You may also be eligible for super if you're a contractor working and being paid primarily for labour (for example, a graphic designer). Labour includes mental and artistic effort as well as physical work.

    Step 2

    Use the Estimate my super tool if you're unsure how much super your employer should be paying.

    Step 3

    Talk to your employer, ask them:

    • how often they're paying your super
    • how much they're paying
    • which fund they're paying it to
    • if you're eligible to choose your super fund.

    It’s a good idea to ask these questions when you start work with an employer.

    Step 4

    Check your last member statement from your super fund or contact them to confirm whether your employer paid your super contributions for the period you're investigating.

    Create a myGov accountThis link opens in a new window and link to the ATO to:

    • check how much money has been paid into your super accounts in the last two financial years
    • view details of all your super accounts, including any you have lost track of or forgotten about.

    Step 5

    Lodge an enquiry. If you've completed steps 3 and 4 and still believe your employer is not paying enough, or any, super, or is not paying the super to your chosen fund, you can report your employer using our online tool.

    We will investigate your employer and will keep you updated about the progress. You can also contact us on 13 10 20.

    Note: If your enquiry relates to a period more than five years ago, we will ask you to provide sufficient written documentation to support your entitlement.

    Find out about:

      Last modified: 30 Jan 2018QC 19274