Show download pdf controls
  • Unpaid super

    If you think your employer is not paying the correct amount of super, follow these steps.

    Step 1: Are you entitled to super?

    Determining if you are entitled to super can be a complex question. We've developed the 'Am I entitled to super?' tool to provide guidance about the status of a worker.

    After answering some questions about the working arrangement between you and your employer, you'll receive a decision advising whether you're entitled to super from that employer.

    If you believe you're not an employee, your employer is not required to contribute super for you.

    If you believe you're an employee you may be entitled to super from your employer. Go to step 2.

    See also:

    Step 2: Has the correct super payment been made into the right fund?

    Check your super contributions by:

    • visiting ATO online via your myGovExternal Link account to view the super contributions that have been paid into your nominated super fund
    • contacting your employer to ask them:  
      • how much they've paid.
      • which fund they've paid it to.
    • checking your member statement from your super fund.

    If you're satisfied that your minimum super entitlements have not been paid, go to Step 3.

    Step 3: Calculate your super entitlements

    You can view online the amount of super your employer is required to pay for your minimum super entitlement, as well as the payments received by your super fund.

    If you know how much super hasn't been paid and the period it relates to, go to Step 4.

    If you're unsure, use the Estimate my super calculator to establish your entitlement. If you believe you haven't been paid the correct super, then go to Step 4.

    Step 4: Report unpaid super

    If you've confirmed your super hasn't been paid in full and completed all of the checks in the above steps, then you can report your employer.

    We'll keep you updated on the investigation, including any recovery actions we might be taking.

    On this page:

      Last modified: 22 Oct 2020QC 19274