Show download pdf controls
  • How to make a claim

    If you are eligible and want to claim a tax deduction for your personal super contributions, you must first notify your fund that you intend to do so. The notice you give to your fund must be both valid and in the approved form.

    A notice of intent is only valid if:

    • you are still a member of your fund
    • your fund still holds the contribution (special rules apply for full or partial voluntary rollovers, and situations where there has been a successor fund transfer or a MySuper transfer)
    • it does not include all or part of an amount covered by a previous notice
    • your fund has not started paying a super income stream using any of the contribution
    • you haven’t lodged an application to split the contribution for which you intend to claim a deduction (even if the application hasn’t been dealt with)
    • you haven’t yet requested a release of FHSS amounts
    • it does not include all or part of a FHSS amount that your recontributed to your fund.

    If you give your fund a notice of intent after you have rolled over your entire super interest to another fund (closed your account) or withdrawn your entire super interest (paid it out of super as a lump sum), your notice will not be valid. This means you will not be able to claim a deduction for the personal contributions you made before the rollover or withdrawal.

    If you have partially rolled over or withdrawn your super interest (which included the contribution you made), your notice will not be valid for the entire contribution. You can only validly deduct a proportion of your contribution that remains in the fund.

    You can provide a single Notice of intent form that covers all the personal (after tax) contributions you made to your super fund during the year (you don’t need to provide a notice of intent for each contribution).

    You will need to provide a Notice of intent form to each of your super funds if you made contributions to more than one fund.

    Approved form for making a claim

    You can provide your notice in the approved form by either:

    • completing a Notice of intent to claim or vary a deduction for personal super contributions (NAT 71121)
    • using your fund's own paper form
    • writing to your fund, stating you wish to claim a tax deduction for your personal super contributions and including the following                
      • your first name
      • your family name
      • your date of birth
      • your fund name
      • your fund member account number
      • the financial year in which the personal contributions were made
      • the total amount of personal contributions made to the fund in that financial year
      • the amount of these personal contributions you intend to claim as a tax deduction
      • a declaration that you are lodging this notice by the due date
      • a statement that the information contained in your letter is true and correct
      • your signature
      • the date (day, month and year)
    • completing an electronic form on your fund's website, if available (check with your fund to ensure they developed their form according to our guidelines).

    When to give your notice of intent

    You must give a notice of intent to claim or vary a deduction to your fund by the earlier of the following:

    • the day you lodge your tax return for the year in which you made the contributions
    • the end of the income year following the one in which you made the contributions.

    Your fund must send you a written acknowledgment, telling you they have received a valid notice from you. You must receive the acknowledgment from your fund before you claim the deduction on your tax return.

    How to complete your tax return

    When you complete your tax return, you can claim a deduction for the amount of the contribution stated in your notice. If you want to claim an amount that is different (more or less) than what the notice says, you can vary your notice (see How to vary your notice).

    Make sure that you claim your deduction at the correct label in your tax return. Deductions for personal super contributions must be claimed at Personal superannuation contributions in the Individual tax return supplement.

    If you are lodging through myTax the deduction must be claimed at Personal super contributions.

    Not claiming your super deductions at the correct label may result in:

    • an incorrect super co-contribution determination or excess contributions tax assessment
    • an additional tax liability
    • the imposition of a tax shortfall penalty.
      Last modified: 23 Jul 2018QC 20139