Toggle left hand content menu
  • Super information for temporary residents departing Australia

    About departing Australia superannuation payment

    If you are a temporary resident working in Australia, your employer has to make super guarantee contributions for you if you're eligible.

    You can claim super benefits you accumulated while working in Australia if all of the following apply:

    • you visited on a temporary visa (excluding visa subclasses 405 and 410)
    • your visa has ceased to be in effect
    • you have left Australia.

    Your claim is generally for a 'departing Australia superannuation payment' (DASP).

    Your super fund will be requested to transfer your super money to us if you haven't claimed it from the fund after a minimum period of six months since you left Australia and your visa ceased to be in effect. We will hold your unclaimed super for you until you claim it.


    If you claim your super money, you may still return to Australia on another visa.

    End of attention

    Who cannot claim a DASP?

    • Australian citizens
    • New Zealand citizens
    • Permanent Australian residents
    • Retirement visa holders
    • Investor retirement visa holders

    If you are in one of the above categories, you have the right to retire in Australia, so you cannot claim a DASP. However, if you are a New Zealand citizen leaving Australia permanently, you may be able to transfer your super to New Zealand.

    • Last modified: 28 Aug 2014QC 24169