Show download pdf controls
  • Division 293 tax - what you need to do

    We use the following information to assess whether you’re liable to pay Division 293 tax:

    • income tax return to determine income for surcharge purposes
    • MCS and SMSF annual returns to determine low-tax contributions.

    If you believe your assessment is incorrect

    If you have been assessed for Division 293 tax incorrectly it is usually because of mistakes in your income tax return or in the contribution amounts reported by your fund.

    Check the income and contribution amounts on your Division 293 Notice of Assessment carefully. If you disagree with either of these amounts, you may need to correct your income tax return or discuss your reported contributions with your fund. Changes made to your income tax return or your super fund reporting will update your Division 293 tax.

    If you still disagree with your assessment you may consider lodging an objection.

    How to pay

    By paying Division 293 tax to us by the due date you will avoid paying interest.

    You can pay Division 293 tax liabilities either:

    • out of your own pocket – see how to pay
    • by using a release authority, issued with the assessment, to pay the debt out of your super account.

    You can take the release authority to any super fund capable of releasing the money.

    Note: Some super funds can't comply with a release authority for a due and payable Division 293 tax liability.

    You can have your super fund pay the money either:

    • to you directly
    • to us.

    Deferred Division 293 tax

    If you are a member of a defined benefit super fund, the Commissioner will defer payment until a benefit is paid from your defined benefit fund. Any deferred debts that are not paid by 30 June each year will attract end of year interest.

    You can voluntarily pay your deferred Division 293 tax by 30 June each year to avoid paying end of year interest.

    Former temporary residents

    If you are a former temporary resident you may be entitled to a refund of Division 293 tax amounts.

      Last modified: 05 Jan 2018QC 36272