Publications and infolines 2013
This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.
End of attention
To get publications, taxation rulings, practice statements and forms referred to in Individual tax return instructions 2013 you can:
Before you phone, check whether there are other publications you might need. This will save you time and help us. For each publication you order, quote the full title printed in Individual tax return instructions 2013. An automated self-help publications ordering service is available 24 hours a day, every day. Alternatively, you can speak to an operator between 8.00am and 6.00pm Monday to Friday.
Phone 13 28 61 for an appointment.
If you have an enquiry about your tax, phone the relevant phone line below.
We can offer a more personalised service if you provide your tax file number (TFN) and have your last notice of assessment with you when you phone us.
If you require access to your Australian Taxation Office (ATO) records you will be asked to prove your identity by providing your TFN and either details from your last notice of assessment or some personal details.
Our phone lines are open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm except where otherwise indicated. Our automated services are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
You can find a list of our phone lines in your White Pages.
Phoning from overseas
If you are phoning us from overseas, phone +61 2 6216 1111 during our business hours, 8.30am to 4.45pm (Australian Eastern Standard or daylight-saving time) Monday to Friday. Note that our phone numbers may not work from all countries.
You can also fax us on +61 2 6216 2830
Individual 13 28 61
Phone between 8.00am and 6.00pm Monday to Friday. You can enquire about the following subjects from this service:
- e-tax - our free online tax preparation and lodgment software
- pay as you go (PAYG), including instalment activity statements
- student loan schemes (HELP and SFSS)
- capital gains, rental income, foreign income and other questions in Individual tax return instructions supplement2012
- notice of assessment
- your income tax account, such as personal details, payment arrangements and lost refund cheques, lodgment and queries about questions in Individual tax return instructions 2012
- binding oral advice.
Business 13 28 66
Complaints 1800 199 010
Fax (freecall) 1800 060 063
EFT 1800 802 308
For enquiries about direct deposit of your tax refund
Family Assistance Office (FAO) 13 61 50
Superannuation 13 10 20
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander 13 10 30
Specialises in helping indigenous clients with their personal tax matters
ATO personal self-help 13 28 65
Our automated phone service is available 24 hours a day, every day, so you can:
- check the progress of your refund
- find lost superannuation
- make an arrangement to pay a tax debt
- lodge your application for a refund of franking credits
- lodge your application for a baby bonus
- lodge your application for the education tax refund.
Note: Although providing your TFN is voluntary, you need to quote your TFN to use these self-help services (except publications ordering).
People with a hearing, speech or vision impairment
If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can phone us through the National Relay Service on the numbers listed below, and ask for the ATO number you need:
- TTY users, phone 13 36 77. For ATO 1800 free call numbers, phone 1800 555 677.
- Speak and Listen (speech to speech relay) users, phone 1300 555 727 and ask for the ATO number you need. For ATO 1800 free call numbers, phone 1800 555 727.
- Internet relay users, connect to the NRS (www.relayservice.com.auExternal Link).
To report tax evasion confidentially
Provides information on accessing referred publications and lists infolines if you need to contact us by phone.