Show download pdf controls
  • Amendment requests 2011

    If you made a mistake or need to amend your tax return



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    If you realise that you did not include something on your tax return that you should have, or you made a mistake, you need to correct it as soon as possible by requesting an amendment.

    You can request an amendment by completing the Request for amendment of income tax return for individuals form.

    Alternatively, you can write a letter to us. In the letter provide:

    • your name, address, phone number and tax file number
    • the year shown on the tax return you want to amend - for example, 2011
    • the tax return item number and description affected by the change
    • the amount of income or deductions to be added or taken away, if relevant
    • the amount of tax offsets to be increased or decreased, if relevant
    • the relevant claim type code, if applicable to the item being changed
    • an explanation of why you made the mistake
    • any additional information, if applicable, to the item being changed, and
    • a signed and dated declaration - 'I declare that all the information I have given in this letter, including any attachments, is true and correct'.

    It is very important that your letter explains why you made the mistake or the reason for the change, so that we can correctly assess any penalty or interest charge.

    Post your letter and attachments to:

    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 3004
    Penrith  NSW  2740

    Keep a copy for your records.

    Do not send another tax return unless we ask you to.

    If, after lodging your tax return, you voluntarily tell us that you made a mistake and an amendment will result in you paying more tax, the amount of penalty that may otherwise have been imposed will, in most cases, be reduced.

    Amendment period

    If you are among the majority of taxpayers, you will generally need to seek an amendment within two years after the day the Commissioner gives notice of the assessment. However, some taxpayers will have a four-year amendment period.

    Generally you will have a four-year amendment period if, for example:

    • you carried on a business and you are not a small business entity for that year
    • you were a partner in a partnership that was carrying on a business and the partnership was not a small business entity for that year
    • you received a trust distribution unless the trust was a small business entity for that year or the trustee of the trust (in that capacity) was a full self-assessment taxpayer (for example, the trustee was a company).
      Last modified: 29 Jun 2011QC 25556