Checklist - tax return 2012
To avoid any delay in the processing of your tax return, use the pre-addressed envelope provided with your Individual tax return instructions 2012, or use the following address:
Australian Taxation Office
GPO Box 9845
IN YOUR CAPITAL CITY
Do not replace the words IN YOUR CAPITAL CITY with the name of your capital city and its postcode.
This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.
End of attention
- written your tax file number
- filled in all your personal details, including your date of birth, correctly
- completed the appropriate details for electronic funds transfer to have your refund paid directly into a financial institution account
- filled in the code boxes, if you were asked to do so, at items 3, 4, 8, I, TOTAL INCOME OR LOSS, D1, D3, D4, SUBTOTAL, TAXABLE INCOME OR LOSS, T1, T2, T3, M1, A1 and A3
- completed item M2 which is compulsory for all taxpayers
- filled in the text box at Flood levy exemption if you are exempt from paying the flood levy
- completed income tests items IT1 to IT7 if required
- completed pages 13-16 of the tax return (supplementary section) if required, and worked through the checklist - supplement
- written totals at:
- TOTAL TAX WITHHELD
- TOTAL INCOME OR LOSS
- TOTAL DEDUCTIONS
- TAXABLE INCOME OR LOSS
- TOTAL TAX OFFSETS
- completed Spouse details - married or de facto if required
- completed your spouse's details and provided your signature on page 11 of your tax return if you have consented to offset part or all of your tax refund against your spouse's Family Assistance Office debt
- completed item A1 if you were under 18 years old on 30 June 2012; this is compulsory and if it is not completed, you may be taxed at a higher rate than necessary
- read, completed, signed and dated the Taxpayer's declaration on page 12 of your tax return; failure to do so will result in it being returned to you and penalties for late lodgment may be applied
- attached copies of all documents or schedules which the Individual tax return instructions 2012 tells you to attach
- attached pages 13-16 of your tax return (supplementary section) to page 3, if you had to complete these pages
- kept copies of your tax return, all attachments and relevant papers for your own records.
Our standard processing time for tax returns posted to us is six weeks. If you lodged your tax return online using e-tax, our standard processing time is 12 business days.
If you want to work out your tax refund or debt, use the Comprehensive tax calculator.