Show download pdf controls
  • Income



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    Individual tax return instructions questions 1-12 and Individual tax return instructions supplement questions 13-24 deal with income. This section of the guide tells you how to include on your tax return:

    • allowances
    • reimbursements
    • reportable fringe benefits
    • reportable employer superannuation contributions.


    Hairdressers commonly get the following allowances:

    • motor vehicle (based on a cents-per-kilometre basis)
    • travel.

    If any allowance is shown as a separate amount on your payment summary, include it as income at item 2 on your tax return.

    Remember, you cannot automatically claim a deduction just because you received an allowance. See questions D1 to D5 in Individual tax return instructions to work out whether you can claim a deduction.


    If your employer or any other person reimburses you for expenses you have actually incurred, the payment is called a reimbursement.

    Generally, you do not include a reimbursement as part of your income, so you cannot claim a deduction for the expense that was reimbursed.

    However, you must show as income at item 2 on your tax return amounts that you received as:

    • allowance for car expenses, or
    • reimbursement for car expenses (worked out on the distance the car travelled).

    You may be able to claim car expenses in these circumstances. For guidance on the rules relating to deductions for car expenses, see Car expenses.

      Last modified: 01 Jul 2015QC 39788