Show download pdf controls
  • Amendment requests 2015

    How to amend your tax return



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    If you have made a mistake or need to amend your tax return, it is important you do it promptly. There are a couple of options for amending your return - going online is the quickest and easiest for you.

    Request an online amendment

    Online amendments are generally processed within 20 business days.

    Regardless of how you lodged your original tax return you can request an online amendment.

    All you need is a myGov account linked to the ATO to access our online servicesExternal Link. If you haven't dealt with us online before you can find out more about our online services.

    From there you simply access your lodged tax return and over-write the amount with the correct amount. If you need to add or delete a record, you can do that too, by selecting the relevant button.

    When you have corrected the information, select the Calculate, button and we'll work out your new refund amount or how much you owe. You don't need to provide us with any supporting documents at the time.

    Request an amendment in writing

    If you don't have access to a computer and the internet you can still use the Request for amendment of income tax return for individuals form. Once you've completed the form, print it off and fax or post it to us with appropriate attachments.

    It takes up to 50 business days to process requests made in writing.

    If you choose not to use the amendment form, ensure your letter includes all relevant information, including name, address, phone number, tax file number, year and reason for amendment, item number and amount of amendment. Your letter needs to conclude with a signed and dated declaration:

    'I declare that:
    • all the information I have given in this letter, including any attachments, is true and correct
    • I have the necessary receipts and/or other records to support my claims for amendment'.

    It is essential you clearly explain why you made the mistake or the reason for the change so we can assess your tax. If the amendment results in you paying more tax the amount of the penalty will, in most cases, be reduced because you have voluntarily told us. Remember to keep a copy for your records.

    Your amendment can be submitted by:

    • Fax
      1300 730 239
    • Post
      Australian Taxation Office
      PO Box 3004
      Penrith NSW 2740
      Last modified: 29 Feb 2016QC 44117