Show download pdf controls
  • A5: Records you need to keep



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    Most of the records you need to keep to work out your capital gain or capital loss when you dispose of shares in companies or units in unit trusts (including managed funds) will be given to you by the company, the unit trust manager or your stockbroker. It is important that you keep everything they give you about your shares and units.

    These records will generally provide the following important information:

    • the date you bought the shares or units
    • the amount paid to buy the shares or units
    • details of any non-assessable payments made to you during the time you owned the shares or units
    • the date and amount of any calls if shares were partly paid
    • the sale price if you sold them
    • any commissions paid to brokers when you bought or sold them.
      Last modified: 27 May 2016QC 48218