9 Attributed personal services income 2018
You must complete this item if you provided personal services and you:
- received a PAYG payment summary – business and personal services income showing an X against 'Personal services attributed income', or
- had personal services income attributed to you.
If you provided personal services and payment was made to you as a sole trader, do not complete this item. You must answer question 14 Personal services income (PSI) 2018 and complete item P1 Personal services income in the Business and professional items schedule for individuals 2018.
If this applies to you, then you cannot lodge a paper tax return. You must lodge your tax return using myTax or a registered tax agent.
Personal services income is income that is mainly a reward for your personal efforts or skills and is generally paid either to you or to a personal services entity (a company, partnership or trust).
If your personal services income is paid to a personal services entity, the income (less certain deductions relating to gaining or producing that income) is attributed to you unless:
- the personal services entity gained the income in the course of conducting a personal services business, or
- the income was promptly paid to you by the entity as salary.
Did you receive any attributed personal services income?
Answering this question
This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.
End of attention
You will need:
- your PAYG payment summary – business and personal services income showing the amount of personal services income attributed to you and the total amount of tax paid or withheld
- details of any other personal services income attributed to you.
If you do not have all of your documents, contact the person who paid you.
Completing your tax return
Write the total amount of tax withheld from the personal services income attributed to you under Tax withheld at the left of O item 9.
Write the total amount of personal services income attributed to you at O item 9.
If the personal services entity has a net loss relating to your personal services income, then no amount is attributed to you. To claim a deduction for the loss, read D15 Other deductions 2018.
There is an explanation of the rules relating to the attribution of personal services income in Taxation Ruling TR 2003/6 Income tax: attribution of personal services income.
Where to go next
This question is about personal services income attributed to you.