Publications and phone numbers 2019
This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.
End of attention
To get publications, taxation rulings, practice statements and forms referred to in Individual tax return instructions 2019 you can:
Before you phone, check whether there are other publications you might need. This will save you time and help us. For each publication you order, quote the full title printed in Individual tax return instructions 2019. An automated self-help publications ordering service is available 24 hours a day, every day. Alternatively, you can speak to an operator between 8.00am–6.00pm Monday to Friday.
If you have an enquiry about your tax, phone the relevant phone line below.
We can offer a more personalised service if you provide your tax file number (TFN) and have your last notice of assessment with you when you phone us.
If you require access to your ATO records you will be asked to prove your identity by providing your personal details. These may include your TFN and either details from your last notice of assessment or other personal details.
We have introduced a secure, fast and easy way to verify your identity over the phone.
The next time you call you may be invited to enrol your unique voiceprint, which you can then use to verify your identity. Make sure you have your tax file number ready when you call.
Our phone lines are open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm except where otherwise indicated. View our extended-hours services at Phone us.
Our automated services are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
You can find a list of our phone lines in your White Pages.
If you are phoning us from overseas, phone +61 2 6216 1111 during our business hours, 8.00am–5.00pm (Australian Eastern Standard or daylight-saving time) Monday to Friday. Note that our phone numbers may not work from all countries.
You can also fax us on +61 2 6225 0970.
Individual 13 28 61
Phone between 8.00am and 6.00pm Monday to Friday. You can enquire about the following:
- lodging online using myTax
- pay as you go (PAYG), including instalment activity statements
- student loan schemes (HELP, SFSS, SSL and TSL)
- capital gains, rental income, foreign income and other questions in Individual tax return instructions supplement 2019
- notice of assessment
- your income tax account such as personal details, payment arrangements and lost refund cheques, as well as lodgment and queries about questions in Individual tax return instructions 2019
- binding oral advice.
Business 13 28 66
Complaints 1800 199 010
Fax (freecall) 1800 060 063
EFT 1800 802 308
For enquiries about direct deposit of your tax refund.
Services Australia Families and Parents line 13 61 50
(previously the Family Assistance Office)
Superannuation 13 10 20
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander 13 10 30
This service specialises in helping Indigenous clients with their personal tax matters.
ATO personal self-help 13 28 65
Our automated phone service is available 24 hours a day, every day, so you can:
- check the progress of your refund
- find lost superannuation
- make an arrangement to pay a tax debt
- lodge your application for a refund of franking credits.
You need to quote your TFN to use these self-help services.
People with a hearing speech or vision impairment
If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment you can contact us through the National Relay Service (NRS). For more information, go to relayservice.gov.au. There are two easy steps:
- select your preferred NRS access point
- provide the ATO number you need to call.
TTY users can also contact us via our direct TTY line 13 36 77.
For ATO 1800 free-call numbers, phone 1800 555 727.
Find out more National Relay ServiceExternal Link
To report phoenix, tax evasion or shadow economy activity confidentially
Provides information on accessing referred publications and lists infolines if you need to contact us by phone.
- phone (free call) 1800 060 062
- complete the tip-off form
– this form is also available in the contact us section of the ATO app
- fax (free call) 1800 804 544
- mail Locked Bag 6050, Dandenong VIC 3175.