Leaving your job

The payments you receive when you leave a job may be taxed differently to your normal income.

This information is for individuals who are just leaving a job. If you are leaving Australia permanently or want information on stopping working entirely see:

If you leave a job during the year, you can ask for your payment summary at the time you leave, otherwise you will receive it at the end of the financial year.

If you are changing address or travelling, make sure you give your employer a postal address where they can send your payment summary.

Payments you receive for unused leave, termination of employment or redundancy may be taxed differently to your normal income.

If you received any lump sum payments from your employer for unused annual leave or unused long service leave, these may be taxed at a lower rate than your other income. If you have received such a lump sum payment it will appear at either 'Lump sum A' or 'Lump sum B' on the payment summary or statement you received.

See also:


Last modified: 09 Jun 2015QC 27125