Show download pdf controls
  • After you lodge

    Check out our tips for after you lodge your tax return.

    On this page

    Progress of your tax return

    We usually process tax returns lodged online within 2 weeks. There is no need to phone us to check the progress of your tax return. If we need more information about your tax return while we are processing it, we will contact you.

    You can check your progress of return in four ways:

    • access ATO online services through your myGov account
    • use the ATO app to see the status of your current return
    • through your registered tax agent
    • use our self-help phone service.

    These options are available to you regardless of how your tax return was lodged.

    Media: Track the progress of your tax return online Link (Duration: 00:49)

    A transcript of this video is available.

    Fix a mistake and amend your tax return

    If you think you have made a mistake or forgot to include something on your tax return, you can correct (amend) your tax return.

    Most individuals can amend their tax returns for up to 2 years after lodgment.

    If you lodged your tax return:

    • Using ATO online services through your myGov account, you can generally amend it straight away. Although, it's best to wait until your original lodgment is processed before requesting an amendment. This will help minimise processing delays.
    • With a registered tax agent, contact your agent for advice on amending your tax return. You can lodge the amendment yourself using ATO online services through myGov.

    If your refund is more than you expect

    Common reasons why your refund is more than you expected include:

    • Changes to the personal income tax brackets which increased the top threshold of the 19% bracket from $37,000 to $45,000, and the top threshold of the 32.5% bracket from $90,000 to $120,000.
    • You received a tax offset that is used to offset (or reduce) the tax you need to pay on your taxable income, such as  

    We will show any offset amount on your notice of assessment.

    If your refund is less than you expect

    You may find your tax assessment is different from what you expected to receive.

    Common reasons why you may receive a tax bill include:

    • The refund amount has been offset against another debt either another tax debt (previous income tax bill, or activity statement debt), or another government agency debt (Centrelink or Child Support Agency) or a director penalty.
    • Compulsory payments, such as Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), Trade Support Loan (TSL), VET Student Loan (VSL) or Student Financial Supplement Scheme (SFSS) repayments.
    • You need to pay Medicare levy surcharge because you didn't have private patient hospital cover and your income is above a certain threshold.
    • New or amended income tests.
    • Excess concessional contributions to a super fund.
    • We reviewed your tax return as part of our compliance checking and adjustments have been made.
    • Tax was not withheld from a taxable payment (such as JobSeeker payments) and your total income for the year was more than the tax-free threshold.
    • You incorrectly claimed the tax-free threshold.

    If you believe you have made a mistake you can either amend you tax return online or contact your tax agent.

    If you owe tax

    We understand missing a payment due date can be stressful. If you’re unable to pay on time, you may be able to set up a payment plan to pay by instalments. You still need to lodge your tax returns on time, even if you can't pay by the due date.

    If you don't lodge by the due date you may incur a failure to lodge (FTL) on time penalty.

    To work out if there is a plan that you can afford you can use the payment plan estimator.

    You may receive a tax bill if you:

    • are an employee and your employer hasn't withheld enough tax from the payments they made to you
    • are a sole trader and haven't paid enough tax to us throughout the year
    • receive other income where no tax was withheld.

    You can check your outstanding balance and when your payment is due by accessing ATO online services through your myGov account.

    When you access ATO online services through myGov you can:

    • set up, adjust or cancel payment plans when circumstances change
    • update your debit and credit cards for one-off payments
    • view most of your payment plan history.

    You may be able to arrange a payment plan by phoning our automated phone service 13 72 26 which is available 24 hours a day.

    If you aren’t able to enter into a payment plan online or through our automated phone service, phone us on 13 11 42, and we’ll work with you to find the right solution.

    Continue to Protect yourself at tax time

      Last modified: 09 Sep 2022QC 62802