Show download pdf controls
  • myTax 2018 Invalid and invalid carer

    You may be entitled to a tax offset for an income year if you maintain certain people who are 16 years or older and who receive particular government payments.

    This offset is available in limited circumstances.

    You may qualify for this offset if you maintained:

    • your spouse who was an invalid or cared for an invalid,
    • your or your spouse's parent, who lived in Australia and who was an invalid or cared for an invalid, or
    • your or your spouse's invalid child aged 16 years or older, or brother or sister aged 16 years or older.

    For more information, see Eligibility for this offset.

    Completing this section



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    Before you complete this section, you should include all your income and deductions in your return.

    1. You must use the Work it out button to calculate the amount you can claim in your tax return.
    2. Select Save and continue when you have completed the Offsets section.


    • If you change any income or deductions in your return, select the Work it out button again to update the calculated offset amount.
    • If you want to know how we work out the offset amount you can claim, see Working out your claim.
      Last modified: 28 Jun 2018QC 55653