Show download pdf controls
  • myTax 2018 Work-related travel expenses

    This section is about travel expenses you incur in performing your work as an employee. They include:

    • public transport, air travel and taxi fares
    • bridge and road tolls, parking fees and short-term car hire
    • meal, accommodation and incidental expenses you incur while away overnight for work
    • expenses for motorcycles and vehicles with a carrying capacity of one tonne or more, or nine or more passengers, such as utility trucks and panel vans
    • actual expenses such petrol, repair and maintenance costs, that you incur to travel in a car that is owned or leased by someone else.

    For more information, see You need to know.

    If your employer provided a car for you or your relatives’ exclusive use (including under a salary sacrifice arrangement) and you or your relatives were entitled to use it for non-work purposes, you cannot claim a deduction for work-related expenses for operating the car, such as petrol, repairs and other maintenance. This is the case even if the expenses relate directly to your work. However, you can claim expenses such as parking, bridge and road tolls for a work-related use of the car. Parking at or travelling to a regular workplace is not ordinarily considered to be a work-related use of the car.

    For information about:

    • what expenses you claim as car expenses (at Work-related car expenses)
    • what expenses you claim as travel expenses (at this section)
    • some examples of trips you can and cannot claim

    For additional information, see Car and travel expenses.

    Want to know what work-related expenses you may be entitled to claim?

    For more information and videos to help you understand what you can claim, see Deductions you can claim.

    Depreciation and capital allowances tool



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    You can use the Depreciation and capital allowances tool to work out any deductible decline in value. To access the tool, select the 'Work it out' link in the Deductions section on the Prepare return screen.

    Completing this section

    You must have written evidence for the whole of your claim.

    We have pre-filled your tax return with work-related travel expense information provided to us. Check for work-related travel expenses that are not pre-filled and ensure you add them.

    1. For each work-related travel expense that has not been pre-filled in your tax return, select Add and enter information into the corresponding fields.
    2. Select Save.
    3. Select Save and continue.

    Note: If you used the Depreciation and capital allowances tool, fields containing information from the tool cannot be directly adjusted in myTax. To make any adjustments to this information, or to add new assets to the tool, select Work it out.

    Tax tip

    Make sure you keep accurate records of travel to make future claims.

      Last modified: 28 Jun 2018QC 55467