Show download pdf controls
  • ATO retires e-tax in 2016

    The ATO announced today that its legacy online lodgment tool e-tax has been retired.

    Assistant Commissioner Graham Whyte said the ATO had replaced e-tax for Tax Time 2016 with myTax, which has been upgraded and improved since last tax time. MyTax is now suitable for any Australian who wants to lodge their own tax return – regardless their tax affairs.

    “In 2016, myTax has been expanded to do everything e-tax could do and more and will be available on 1 July 2016,” Mr Whyte said.

    “For example, not only will Australians with rental properties be able to use myTax this year, but they will also be able to take advantage of the fully integrated tools and calculators. One of these new tools allows property investors to record depreciation and capital allowances.”

    First introduced in 2014, myTax slashes the time and effort required to lodge your own tax return. It is safe and secure, and can be accessed on any smartphone, tablet or computer. With 1.75 million lodgments in 2015, there was a 70 per cent increase in the number of people lodging through myTax.

    “Over the past few years we’ve been seeing around three million Australians prepare their own tax return using either myTax or e-tax, so we’re hoping to see three million myTax lodgments in 2016,” Mr Whyte said.

    “We understand sometimes it can be hard to change habits, especially for those who have been using e-tax since its launch in 1999. What we would say to those who are a bit unsure about myTax is to give it a go: you’ll probably have your tax return lodged in a fraction of the time.”

    Mr Whyte said that while myTax is a great tool for people who want to lodge their own tax return, the ATO also knew that around 74% of Australians seek the assistance of a tax agent to lodge. The community has a choice; they can use a tax agent or prepare their own return.

    “For anyone thinking about using a tax agent for the first time or a different one to last year, it is important to contact them before the end of October to meet their lodgment dates,” Mr Whyte said.

    “It’s also important to ensure you use a registered tax agent. Only a registered tax agent can charge a fee for doing your tax return. A list of registered tax agents is available on the Tax Practitioners Board website.”

    Search the Tax Practitioner Board Register at: Link

    To find out more on how to lodge using myTax visit:

    Last modified: 06 Jun 2016QC 49259